December 18, 2017, Divison of Exit & Entry Administration Department of Public Security Department of Guangdong Province posted a news about Guangdong issued 18 policies to bring more conveniences for the people who come to or live in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area. Among all the 18 policies, there five about visa for foreigners, let's see now.  


Image: Google

1. More foreigners benefit from new visa   


Generally, for foreign students who study in China with X visa, if they want to start an internship in China, can submit an application to the immigration office to get the permission to work as an intern in China, and their X visa will be remarked their internship information.

Under the new visa policy, foreign students who study abroad have a chance to work as an intern in Guangdong. Foreign students who are invited by the companies in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area for an internship, they can apply for the internship visa at ports. If they have entered China with another type of visa, they can apply for a visa change, and the visa will be remarked their activity in China is for an internship. This policy has been quietly taken into effect in December.

The companies which are qualified to hire overseas students as interns, they should have registration records in the Guangdong immigration office. And the company should be registered in Jieyang Sino-Germany Metal Eco City or The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, which includes 9 cities:

  • Guangzhou

  • Shenzhen

  • Foshan

  • Dongguan

  • Huizhou (excluding Longmen)

  • Zhongshan

  • Zhuhai

  • Jiangmen 

  • Zhaoqing (city center and Sihui)

Since there are still no specific instructions on how to apply for the internship visa and what documents one should prepare, for details, you can check with the local immigration office, and we will give you the latest updates as soon as possible.

Here is a list of all the ports in Guangdong that can issue Visa on Arrival (Issued at Entry Ports), you can also contact the officers there to check the internship visa issues.


2. How to ge144-hour visa-free transit?

Except for the internship visa, 144-hour visa-free transit policy will start from the first quarter of 2018. Foreigners can enjoy 144 hours visa-free transit in Guangdong if they enter from 3 specific ports, which will provide great convenience for passengers from 53 countries or regions transiting through Guangdong to a third country or region.

Tourists eligible for the 144-hour visa-free transit in Guangdong will be able to travel within the whole province for 6 days without applying for a visa, and the stay duration will be counted from 00:00 the day after the entry date.

Here is the list of  these 53 countries or regions:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, Russia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Belarus, United States of America, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates and Qatar

The basic information about these 3 ports is as follows, passengers who want to apply for 144-hour visa-free transit need to enter Guangdong from these 3 ports but they are allowed to leave from any port in Guangdong.

  • Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport

  • Shenzhen Bao'an International  Airport

  • Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport


Image: travelchinaguide

Required documents:

 Valid passport/Travel Document
 Confirmed onward ticket to a third country/region
 Visa for a third country/region (if needed)
 A fully completed Arrival/Departure Card (including name, nationality, passport no., visa no. & issuance place, flight no., purpose of visit, date of birth, gender)


Image: travelchinaguide

3. Other visa policies for permanent residence 

  • For individuals, as recommended by governments of the 9 cities in the Greater Bay Area and Jieyang, can apply for permanent residence in China. This right will be extended to their spouse and any children. 

  • For foreigners who work in start up businesses or work as technicians in enterprises in the Greater Bay Area and Jieyang Sino-Germany Metal Eco City, they can also apply for permanent residence and will be evaluated under a point base scheme encompassing education level, annual income, work duration in China and whether the job belongs to one of the so-called ‘innovation industries’.

  • For foreigners, who invest more than 1 million USD in the Greater Bay Area or Jieyang Sino-German Metal Eco City 3 years in a row can apply for permanent residence.

Source:  Hitouch, travelchinaguide, Divison of Exit & Entry Administration Department of Public Security Department of Guangdong Province 

gic qr-code.jpg