The first thing you should do once you’ve realized that you lost your passport (whether it be stolen or by accident) is to report the loss to the nearest police station. They’ve handled situations like this plenty of times before, so you can trust their ability to handle yours just as effectively. And to make the process even clearer, we took it upon ourselves to list down the steps you should take based on your traveling conditions.

Lost passport as a resident in China

• First off, report the loss at a police station and make sure to keep the 'receipt of report’ that they will give you which will be useful for insurance purposes or any further investigation.


Photo credit: PConline

• Secondly, you should visit the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau to report the loss and collect your ‘confirmation letter of reporting the loss of passport'.


• Thirdly, you may proceed with your application for a new passport

You should go to your home country’s nearest embassy or consulate to submit your application and where officers will help you register for the procedure. After this step, you will be asked to apply for a reissued passport


• Fourthly, apply for a new visa at the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau. When you receive your new passport, you need to go to the local Exit and Entry Administration Bureau (出入境管理局) for your new Chinese visa.

Please note that once you have reported your passport lost or stolen to the embassy/consulate it is electronically canceled and cannot be used for further travel.

Never hand over your passport except to those officials who legally can take it. If someone demands it, refuse, give them a photocopy or a picture, both with copy written on it. Without taking in and out of the passport, your passport won't be lost if you keep them in a safe place.

Lost Passport when you are traveling


When you make sure your passport is definitely lost, you have to report the loss in the nearest Public Security Bureau(公安局) as soon as possible. You need to get the lost-passport report paper there.


Then you need to go to your country’s nearest embassy or consulate and apply for a replacement passport in person. It takes 1 to 2 days to get the replacement passport as your embassy or consulate need to check your real personal information and different work hours might make the time longer. The replacement passport is only valid for a month, and you will also get an identification with your original passport number and information from the embassy or consulate.

Documents to apply for the replacement passport

1. It’s better to offer the lost-passport report from the Public Security Bureau.
2. A receipt of the hotel you stay
3. A copy of your original passport 


A traveler who doesn’t travel with a China travel agency needs to apply for a new Chinese travel visa in the Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Administration as soon as possible. When you leave China, you need the visa to pass through the Security. You can apply for the most urgent visa with a more expensive price and get the visa in one day when you need it.

Documents to apply for a new visa 

(1)It’s better to offer the lost-passport report of the Public Security Bureau.
(2)Certifications of China travel agency which services you.
(3)The replacement passport 
(4)Scanning of your original passport and visa 


When you travel with a group visa, if you can catch up with other travelers you don’t need to apply for a new visa. However, if you can’t keep traveling with the group, you need to apply for a separation of group visa which your travel guide will help you to deal with.

Tip: You can keep a separated copy of your passport and visa in case you need them for whenever you lose your passport during your journey in China. But hopefully, you won't need it.

Though we don't hope that you would use this article one day, in case of you lose the passport, please add this article to favorites.

Source: CHINA TRAVEL, travel.state.gov,