In Part I Leaving China? Here’s Some Super-helpful Tips, many readers asked me ‘how can I get my whole pension back if I’ve worked for various companies?’ In this case, China’s government have a record for your pension, so you can just apply based on the same steps outlined in part 1. And some readers also advised on getting a certificate of no criminal record from Chinese city you were living in – another very important step when getting ready to leave. Let's see what others there are:


4. Bring Your Best Friend Home


The 4 simple steps for ensuring pet owners based in China meet exit requirements are summarized below. Usually, the owner will be asked to prepare 6 months in advance. So once you have set your departure date, it’s best to start preparing for the following procedures.



A. Provide rabies vaccination records and Official Vaccination Immunity Certificate

Complete the rabies vaccinations and obtain an official PRC Animal Health and Immunity Certificate certifying that your pet was vaccinated at least 30 days before, but not more than 12 months before departure.

Animals departing China must be rabies vaccinated at an officially designated animal vaccination hospital in the PRC and must have the official “Animal Health and Immunity Certificate” (vaccination red book).

It is recommended that owners keep good records of their pet’s local vaccinations upon adoption or arrival in China. By law, pets must be rabies vaccinated annually in the PRC. China does not recognize the two- or three-year rabies vaccines from other countries, so pets must be vaccinated annually here. 



B. Health Examination and Health Certificate


Pets must undergo a health examination not more than seven days before their departure date at government-run Entry-Exit Inspection & Quarantine Bureau animal hospital.

After your pets have completed their vaccinations and have obtained the official ‘vaccination red books,’ pet owners may take their pets for an exit health examination at the designated government Quarantine Bureau animal hospital. 

Once completed, you will be issued an “International Companion Animal Health Inspection Certificate” (Health Certificate), which is required to obtain the official “Animal Health Certificate for Exit” (Exit Permit) from the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. Fees will be charged for the examination and the tests. Owners should take the pet, the official vaccination red book, passport or photocopy (one passport per pet) and cash (at least RMB 800 per pet) at the time of the visit.



Microchipping Pets:The Guan Shang animal hospital that performs the official exit health examinations began requiring all animals to be microchipped at the time of the exam. The microchips required are those certified by the European Union. 


Take Note:  This microchip requirement is not a national or Beijing municipal government or an Entry/Exit Quarantine and Inspection Bureau requirement. This is only the requirement of the Guan Shang animal hospital in Beijing to help them uniquely track the thousands of animals they clear each year for export. ICVS can help microchip all pets and has universal microchip scanners to ensure microchip readability of already microchipped pets.


The health certificate is usually issued within two working days after the examination and is valid for seven days from the issue date. If the health certificate is not exchanged for an exit permit before the expiration date, the health examination must be repeated.


C. “Animal Health Certificate for Exit” (Exit Permit)

Be sure to pick up the exit permit from the Entry-Exit Inspection & Quarantine Bureau after receiving the health certificate.

Owners may present the health certificate to obtain the official “Animal Health Certificate for Exit” (exit permit). The Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau has a satellite office on the second floor of the Quarantine Bureau’s animal hospital where owners may process the exit permit. Bring your ‘vaccination red book,’ the health certificate and your passport (or passport photocopy). It is not necessary to bring your pet to apply for the exit permit. 


The exit permit fee is around RMB 100 and is usually processed within two working days and is valid for 14 days once issued. Once you receive the exit permit, pet owners have 14 days to take pets overseas.


5.  SIM Card

Remember to cancel your Chinese SIM card! Even if is pre-pay card, the mobile company will take back the number, and it also will deduct your credit. 

It will cause trouble if you come back to China and want to apply for the SIM card again in the future.

To cancel your SIM card, you have to go to the mobile company in person with your original passport.


6. Unlink Your Wechat with Cellphone


If you forget to cancel your phone number and unlink your WeChat ID with your phone, other people may have access to your WeChat. 

If your Chinese phone bill is not paid for six months, the number will be cancelled and is considered a brand new number. Another person will use it. That person can log into your WeChat account with your number! This may explain why many expats lost their WeChat ID after returning to their home countries for a certain period of time. 


What you should do is unlink your WeChat ID with your phone. 

Go to “Me” – “Settings” – “My Account” –“Phone” to unlink.


This is not reserved just for Wechat; it also affects apps such as Mobike, ofo bicycle, Food delivery apps or any other apps that link with your bank card and phone number. If other people log into your account, your money and personal message will be lost.

Click here to check "Secure Your Mobile Wallet in One Step"

7. Non-Criminal Record


You may need a report of your stay in China when you are looking for a new place of residence. If you do not have these on file in the future getting a new place of residence after you leave China can be impossible, as they may need to see your original passport and tenancy agreement.



If you decide to leave China or move to another Chinese city – go to the local police station before you leave, and ask for a non-criminal record (无犯罪记录证明) for the entire stay you were in that city. Ask for a report with no gaps in the dates. If you registered at several police stations during your time of stay, you will need to go to each one to get a report. After getting your non-criminal record from the Public Security Bureau office, you must bring it to the Notary Public Office to get a notarized translation.


Without a non-criminal record, if criminals take advantage of your personal details, once they commit a crime, the blame will be attached to you. Your identity may face issues in your home country or China. 


8. Translate Chinese Documents that You May Need at Home

Since you may need to translate your record from the police department, bring other things that you may need in your home country to be translated. Having valuable documents translated before you go back can come in handy for future reference.



Make sure that it gets done before you may really need them. Trying to do things last minute or if you are not aware of a certified notary in your home country may prove to be a lengthy and/or expensive process.


9. Get a Reference From Your Landlord and Company


It is said to be very hard to rent anywhere without references. Get a reference from your landlord in China, in case you want to rent somewhere when you get home. If you have a Chinese speaking landlord, you can always write the letter yourself and ask them to sign it.



You may want to have some sort of references other than just contacts from your place of work in China. Going back to your home country and still working for the same company, you may not think it necessary. Having that reference may help with promotions and other opportunities within the company. It is always good to have something in writing referring your good work.

1. Have a letter of reference from your landlord.

2. Get any letter of recommendation or references in China before you leave.


10. Cancel Your Alien Employment Permit/ Foreign Expert Certificate and Work Visa


When your labor contract is terminated, your HR will normally get the employment permit (外国人就业证) or foreign expert certificate (外国专家证) from you and cancel it. It’s very important you can get the cancellation certificate(注销证明), at least the scanned copy, issued by the relevant authority.



This certificate can be an official proof of your work experience in China. And if you want to come back to China to get a work visa again, the cancellation certificate is also required.


Farewells are said, bags are packed, the flight is waiting and…


Source: United Pet Express, (Pet), (Non-criminal record), Beijing Expert Life

GIC QR.jpg