The China work visa is issued to those who have obtained an employment permit and intend to work in China. The Exit & Entry Administration Department official working permit or employment license is required. For instance, expats who come to China for short-term filming projects are eligible for a 90-day short-term multiple entry visa. Working or starting a business in China and wanting to integrate into Chinese life would need long-term work permits or permanent residence.


But applying for a work visa is not as simple as preparing documents and submitting an application. You should pay more attention to these things below, as foreigners in these particular cases may no longer be allowed to obtain work visas!

Online user Huina Garcia explained his story:

After changing jobs and getting a second look at the work permit process, I have since found out that for visa purposes consultants can't be hired with a Foreign Expert's Certificate. This is why my work permit was initially declined. They applied for the FEC (most of the foreigners they employ are teachers) but I needed the Alien Work License.

So my work permit got denied by the government because apparently my major in college wasn't related to my work experience/the job the company needs me to do. Which, quite frankly, is super BS. Especially because my actual two years' work experience directly relates to the responsibilities of my job (educational consulting, my experience is in HR consulting/workforce development for Chinese Americans and the responsibilities are almost the same) I'd bet cash money that the government doesn't wanna process it because of my resume, and I'm not teaching. All foreigners do in China is teach English or translate, right? 

Online user Abner Jones left a comment:

My application for a Z-Visa was rejected. My situation is a bit different than for most, as I am still in my home country. My company was going to send me to Shanghai on a long-term assignment. Now they are checking other options to see what can be done.

I handed in the necessary papers. The agency said the papers looked good and submitted them. I listed for example my master's degree in the application, which means that I haven't got two years working experience since I graduated. Shouldn't they have realized that pre-degree experience wouldn't help me much?


1.  If applying with fake documents or misrepresenting yourself, the work visa will no longer be approved and related legal liabilities will be pursued.

2.  Holders of CLASS-B and CLASS-C are aged above 60, they cannot apply for the new work permit or extension anymore.

3.  According to the 4th item of the six criteria for CLASS-B, a new work visa application or extension from the chief representative / general representative of the Foreign Representative Office will require a bachelor degree or above. If applicants are with a non-graduate degree, they may not apply for work visa and extension anymore. 

4.  Holders of CLASS-C are with strict limits and quota management. That means, once the quota on CLASS-C is used up, no more new work visa for CLASS-C applicants will be issued. 

5.  In principle, only one employed expat can obtain a work visa from a small or micro enterpriseUnless the company hires a large number of Chinese employees or the business is in good condition, it’s hard to apply for the second work permit in one company.

6.  An abnormal record of the company in the Industrial and Commercial Bureau or an abnormal situation in the Tax Bureau will result in the work visa application being rejected.



After your visa is refused for the first time, you are still allowed to subsequently re-apply. Some countries will inform the applicants in writing stating why the application has been refused. We should take seriously in your first application of the work visa because once the work visa denied, it makes difficulty for your next application.

GIC QR.jpg